[gallery] Once an Irish enclave and still the location of the St. Patricks Day Parade, South Boston is a neighborhood with a strong sense of community and neighborhood pride. Originally South Boston was a peninsula belonging to the then independent town of Dorchester. In the early 1800s a group of developers was able to convince the General Court of Massachusetts that the land should be annexed to Boston, and after broadening the land through landfill, South Boston began to take shape. As part of the annexation agreement land was set aside for streets, and other public uses, and the grid pattern centered around Broadway was designed. With the arrival of railroads and later the production demands of the Civil War, South Boston became an industrial leader in ship building, ironworks and other industries which helped drive the population of the neighborhood to the point where in 1855 it had more dwellings than any other ward in the city. As with many cities, dwellings were often single family residences. With the population increasing and space becoming scarce however, post-1860 many row houses were built, and during the late 1800s two family properties were gaining in popularity. By 1900 triple-deckers were some of the most popular types of properties being built in cities, and many of these houses are still seen throughout South Boston. In recent years South Boston has become a popular choice for young professionals with many multifamily dwellings being renovated and turned into condominiums, and redevelopment changing its Northern end, the Seaport District.